FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NURBS parametization & Fracture Maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dangerweenie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: NURBS parametization & Fracture Maps Reply with quote

Howdy -

I'd be quite grateful if anyone could offer any advice here...

I have a NURBs surface to which I am applying a fracture map file texture - when applied to the color of the surface as a test, it is warped. "Fix Texture Warp" (found under the shape node of the NURBs geo) corrects this problem and creates a nice uniform texture (in this case we are using puzzle pieces).

The NURBs surface itself appears to have a nice uniform parameterization.

When I convert the NURBs surface to a Slab, the generated damage object stretches the fracture map out on on side of the surface - it would appear that the "fix texture warp" attribute is being ignored and not sent to the generated poly mesh. Maya's help file indicates that this attribute does not hold over in either "convert to file texture", or even render in Mental Ray, so I guess it is not surprising that it doesn't propagate into BlastCode.

Basically I need to figure out how to get this file texture to create an evenly spaced fracture map / damage object. I'm not a pro with NURBs, but rebuilding the surface doesn't seem to have much effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
capital
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you want to use the slab's Texture Thickness attribute to increase the amount of texture that falls on the edges.

Hope this does the trick.

Jim
dangerweenie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capital wrote:
I think you want to use the slab's Texture Thickness attribute to increase the amount of texture that falls on the edges.

Hope this does the trick.

Jim

Hi Jim -

Thanks for the tip - I actually got a decent result by rebuilding the NURBs as a Periodic rather than Uniform surface, which is much better for texturing.

So I'm getting a nice non-warped fracture result, but now my challenge is getting a hard quad blastcode damage mesh under 1.5 million polygons ...

I'm using a 512 fracture file on a tapering nurbs surface with four rounded corners ... obviously simple mesh does not do the trick.

at 256x256, the jigsaw puzzle pieces lose all their edge detail. 512x512 yields OK results ..

my question now is, is it possible to get a good output with Hard Quads in my damage object using a 512x512 grayscale hi-contrast .tga of puzzle pieces going in as a Fracture File, without getting a totally outrageous polycount? Are there any techniques for optimizing the damage mesh size? I have read the manual and I can't seem to find anything of impact except "auto threshold".

Also, would you ever advise piping the jigsaw .tga into a file texture node (driven by any of mayas texture placement nodes) into Fracture MAP rather than FILE and then somehow tweaking it there? Even with high U V fracture size settings (>200), the detail seems to be lost.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Best,

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    blastcode.com Forum Index -> BlastCode All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: